Immigration for refugees
The method of immigration to New Zealand through obtaining refugee status is not popular, since it is extremely difficult to obtain this status, but for citizens of the Russian Federation and CIS countries it is almost unrealistic. A positive response to their petitions is most often received by citizens of countries such as Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, Sri Lanka, etc..
In theory, there are two ways to apply for refugee. The first is to apply for refugee status at the New Zealand Embassy in your home country.. As practice shows, the probability of obtaining refugee status in this case tends to zero. The second - obtaining refugee status already in New Zealand. This is a more real way. However, before, how to apply for a refugee from New Zealand, you need to enter the country, having received a preliminary visa.
New Zealand's annual refugee admission quota is 750 person.
Also in this category there is such a type of visa as Refugee Family Support Resident Visa. She suggests, that New Zealand residents, who entered the country as refugees, can sponsor a residence permit for someone from their family. In a year, this category is issued in total 300 visas.
Read more about Refugee Family Support Resident Visa on the website of the Immigration Service.
If you haven't decided yet, do you want to move specifically to New Zealand, we recommend that you travel to short-term language courses to get to know the country. In this case, you can not only tighten your tongue, but also finally decide on your plans. For more information on English courses in New Zealand, see here.
We really hope, this article was useful to you.
Please note that this article was written based on materials from the official website of the Immigration Service and should not be considered as immigration advice. Updated: 18.09.2019
Immigration through training
There are three ways to immigrate to New Zealand through study:
- A sought-after specialist comes to language courses
- A demanded specialist comes to improve his qualifications for a diploma program
- The student comes to receive a new specialty from scratch
A sought-after specialist comes to language courses
The language course option may suit you, if you have a qualification from the list of long-term demanded, but:
- your english level is insufficient, to get an IELTS certificate with a score of 6.5, what you need to apply for a Skilled Migrant,
- you don't have enough points to, to apply for the Skilled Migrant category.
In these cases, a trip to New Zealand for a language course may be a good way to achieve your goal.. During your studies, you can not only improve your English to the desired level, but also find a qualified job. If you have a job offer from a New Zealand employer, then you will receive additional points for the Skilled Migrant category, which, probably, will be sufficient, to apply for residency.
Important note: this method is suitable only for specialists, whose specialty is on the list of in-demand. In this case, your potential employer will not need to prove to the Immigration Service, that he could not find a suitable candidate for his vacancy from among residents and citizens
The presence of a specialty in the list automatically implies, that specialists with such a profession are in short supply.
Currently, there are three lists of in-demand professions: long term (Long Term), Short (Immediate) and a list for the Canterbury region.
If you are interested in the option with a trip to language courses, find information about language programs, offered by our agency, can be here.
A demanded specialist comes to improve his qualifications for a diploma program
If you have a good level of English, but you do not earn points for direct application for residence in the Skilled Migrant category, then the best way in your case would be a trip to New Zealand to improve your qualifications. After training, you will be eligible for an open work visa for a period of 1 to 3 years depending on the level of the program. A work visa will simplify your job search and open the door to obtaining residency.
Depending on the program, admission to professional diploma courses will require an IELTS Academic certificate with a score of 6.0 and higher, or passing an internal school entrance test.
The student comes to receive a new specialty from scratch
If you have no higher education, or if you want to change your specialty, then you can get a new profession from scratch. To do this, you need to unlearn a professional program for 1-2 years old, either 3 and more than a year before receiving a bachelor's degree. As with students, raising qualifications, students, learning from scratch, will be eligible for an open work visa after graduation.
To enroll in a diploma course, you will need an IELTS Academic certificate with a score of 5.5 and higher.
About that, how to choose the right specialty and program for immigration to New Zealand, read in our article.
Online gambling business in New Zealand
New Zealand does not allow the establishment of online casinos within the country. Players can play legally at international establishments, whose servers are located abroad. Besides, their winnings are exempt from income taxes.
As offline, and online, players prefer to play slots, lotteries and sports betting. Rugby bets the most, cricket, football and netball.
List of online casinos for New Zealanders:
- Casino Mate;
- Royal Vegas Online Casino;
The most popular online slots among New Zealanders:
- Game of Thrones;
- Big Chef;
- Bar Bar Black Sheep;
- Fish Party;
- Ninja Magic.
The history of the gambling business in New Zealand
The gambling business has existed in New Zealand since then, how settlers from Great Britain began to develop the territory. Gambling was a common activity during the colonization period.
Gambling Act 1908 banned the gambling business - only horse racing remained legal. They remained the only legal form until 1951 of the year, when TAB appeared - the state bookmaker.
After which the laws began to soften, and new forms of gambling became available to New Zealanders. Lotteries consistently appeared, slot machines, casino and online casino.
It is the oldest form of gambling in New Zealand. The first races were held in 1835 year. but, horse betting was prohibited in 1920 year. Again they were allowed only in 1961, and that, with great restrictions.
The first lotteries appeared in 1933 year. They were relatively small.. Major Golden Kiwi Lottery appeared in 1961 year. Then her in 1987 replaced Lotto.
Slot machines first appeared in New Zealand in 1991 year. Slang name - poker machines or pokey, as in Australia. The government allowed the organization of clubs with slot machines in 1989 year.
In the 90s, operators preferred to install slot machines in and around Wellington, since this is a metropolitan area. Then in 2001 year the government announced, that is going to free the capital from the gambling business. Were closed 7 city casinos, because the authorities were afraid of too strong the development of dependence among the population.
The first casino was opened in Christchurch in 1994 year. Then casinos were built in cities:
Gambling establishments in these cities still function.
Online slot machines
New Zealanders, as a very reckless nation, naturally, could not miss the online casino. Gambling websites and platforms started in 1994 year. Microgaming becomes the first online slots provider in New Zealand
Fruit Fiesta and Cash Splash are some of the first slot machines, which became available to New Zealanders. In the late nineties, New Zealanders got acquainted with slots from Playtech and Cryptologic.
At first, online slots only possessed 1 a winning line and three reels. Then, with the development of computers, developers began to introduce more paylines, wild symbols, scatter, bonuses and bonus games.
Given list of official League sponsors, unless otherwise specified.
- Kia Motors 2010-2012, (marketing partner) Lotto Sport Italia 2008-2012, (The general sponsor) ASB Bank 2010-2012, (marketing partner) Premier (New Zealand) 2010-2012, (TV channel), (TV partner) FTN – Television Network family 2010-2012, (TV channel), (TV partner) TVNZ 2010-2012, (TV channel), (official TV sponsor) Sky Television Network 2009 - present, (TV channel), (TV partner – For national and international broadcasting)
New Zealand gambling regulators
Several government agencies are involved in New Zealand's gambling business.
The Department of the Interior is responsible for:
- legal base of the gambling business;
- licensing of gambling establishments (except casino);
- providing information and educating the public.
The Ministry of Health is responsible for:
- coordination and financing of gambling addiction services;
- develops and implements plans to prevent and minimize harm from the gambling business.
The gambling commission is responsible for:
- licensing of casino operators;
- coordinating agreements between casino operators and gambling license holders;
- consideration of complaints and disputes in the field of casinos;
- assistance in determining the amount of deductions for the treatment of gambling addiction;
- clarifies the terms of licenses for casino operators.
Racing Board and New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing address horse racing.
New Zealand Lotteries Commission controls lotteries.
Photo source: News of Gambling
Telebingo has been working since February 1996 until June 2001. There were two components, lottery and game show. The original time slot was ONE TV 20:00 on Wednesday, but later in his run, it was moved. In the end 1999, Telebingo was also retransmitted to 15:30 the next day. The hosts were Simon Barnett and Ingrid Mole. Barnett was later replaced by Grant Walker.
Between 34 and 75 numbers were drawn from 75. Viewers at home had to match the numbers on the screen with the numbers on the mini bingo board. They could be bought at 2$ each for a minimum of two tickets. There were three divisions:
- Four Corners: If you got, each of the three corner numbers (the other was just a tick), before 27 numbers called, You won the Four Corners.
- Cross: If you received eight numbers, which annoyed the diagonal, before 34 numbers called, You won the Cross.
- Bingo. Big - they keep drawing numbers, until a bingo winner was found. If there was one, before 34 numbers called, they kept walking, until 34 the numbers were not named. The report was 37 bingo winners.
If there were no winners in the division, the corresponding prize pool has been moved to the next division.
Three rivals appeared on the show. They started with 125$ and corner square, they earned 25$ and another corner square for each question right and lost 25$ (but not their corner square) wrong for every question. In the Reciprocal Round, they were given two squares as an advantage to the Cross.. After that, how the cross was earned, random squares were given with each correct answer, until either the viewer or the opponent has received Bingo. There were two possible outcomes as to the end:
- If the opponent received Bingo first, they kept walking, until the viewer got Bingo, and then any rivals, who got bingo, will go away with twice their final total.
- If the viewer received Bingo first, it went, to "Run For Your Money", in which the rivals had 60 seconds, to get Bingo and anyone, who got, it will go away with twice their final total.
The rival with most of the money then went to the memory board, where he or she had to show two matching squares, to get a certain prize, and then he or she had the choice of taking away the prizes or risking them for more next week.
The risk has been running since July 2001 until February 2002. Pull the numbers, started with, where the telebingo numbers ended. The show was on TV ONE at a more consistent time, in 19:30 on Wednesday. The show was hosted by John Bridges.
Twenty-five numbers were drawn from 1 to 90. The goal was, to match one of the following:
- These 12 numbers in the Game 'R’
- These 9 numbers in Game 'S’
- These 6 numbers in Game 'K’
- These 3 numbers in the game 'I’
all groups except Game ‘R’ there were one or more signs $, which could be separated immediately. Number could appear on two groups on a one-way ticket.
The game board looked like this: (signs $ only there, to show, how many were)
X X X – $ –
X – X – – – –
X X X – X –
X – X – X –
X – X – X –
– X X X X – $ –
X – – – X X –
– $ X – $ – – –
– – – X X X –
X X X – X – $ –
Game 'R’ jackpotted, if not won.
Was the color of the team, printed on every ticket. If that team won, then all tickets, having that color, entered the draw for the cash prize.
Three teams of two opponents (namely, Red, Yellow and Purple) were tracked down 500$ (300$ in the first few episodes), to start the game with. Correct answers cost 50$, and incorrect answers were fined that amount. After two rounds, the team in third place was eliminated, and at the end of the last round, only one team prevailed.
The biggest prize
- The biggest prize, one way ticket won, was 36 890 255$, in Great Wednesday pull from 24 june 2009 (pull 192). The winning ticket was sold at the Kuripuni Lotto and Mail Store in Masterton. Это состояло из приза Первого дивизиона наличных денег в размере 34 453 401$, Audi R8 (RRP 265 000$), Porsche Cayenne (RRP 135 000$), кредит в размере 250 000$ на Платиновой Карте American Express, наличные деньги в размере 250 000$ к роскошному путешествию, Четырем лодкам Winns V258 и наличным деньгам в размере 750 000$ к холостяку; плюс Второй приз Подразделения наличных денег в размере 696 795$.
- Biggest Lotto Powerball Prize, one way ticket won, was $33 million, the lotto is pulled from 28 september 2014. The winning ticket was sold in One Step Ahead at Ponsonby, Auckland.
Most tickets sold
- Largest number of tickets, sold for a draw, It was 4,78 millions of tickets during the aforementioned Great Wednesday, pull from 24 june 2009 (pull 192). The First Division prize was originally, "Must be won" $30 million plus prizes, but high ticket sales pushed it to $35 million.
- Largest number of tickets, sold for a draw Lotto, It was 2,5 millions of tickets for Lotto, pull from 18 October 2008 (pull 1115). The First Division Powerball prize was, "Must be won" $30 million, by which, no First Division winners, slid down to five Second Division winners. Каждый победитель получил 6 146 881$.
Report for the majority of the First Division winners in each pull, Was installed 11 september 1993 (pull 320), when 38 people won the First Division. Каждый победитель получил 35 937$. All the winning numbers were the main contributing factor, were between 31 and 38, with bonus number singular, to go outside the group (11).
Past champions and reigning champion
Brief description of New Zealand
New Zealand is an island nation in the Pacific Ocean. Its population is 4,5 million people. The country is adjacent to Australia, New Caledonia, Fiji and Tonga. New Zealand has a unique animal world.
Largest cities – Auckland (1 294 000 residents) and Wellington (379 000 residents). Zealand is divided into 16 districts. The population of the country is mainly descendants of the British, Dutch, Germans, "White" South Africans. The indigenous Maori population is 14,6%.
The country's economy is based on agriculture, processing and food industries, and also - tourism. By GNP size (gross national product) Zealand occupies 60 place in the world. It is also recognized as one of the best countries to do business.
Bonus tickets and cash prizes up to 1000 dollars inclusive can be requested at any Lotto store, by presenting and returning the ticket, and the prize is paid from the terminal.
All non-cash prizes and cash prizes over 1000 dollars can be claimed at any Lotto store, by presenting and returning the ticket. The holder must complete a prize claim form, which is sent with the Lotto NZ ticket in Auckland to claim a prize.
Large prize winners often bypass the Lotto Outlet and head straight to Lotto NZ headquarters in Auckland. Receiving prizes worth more than 5000 dollars and special draws results in the blocking of the Lotto processing terminal for security reasons, and the terminal operator must call Lotto NZ, to unlock the terminal, giving Lotto NZ employees the opportunity to speak with the winners.
Prizes must be claimed within 12 months from the date of the drawing (or closing the game for Instant Kiwi), otherwise the prize will be canceled, and unclaimed money is returned to the prize pool.
New Zealand Cabinet approved the creation of Lotto in February 1986, the necessary passage of legislation through Parliament in April that year with a vote of 47-20. New Zealand Lottery Commission was founded in June 1987, and the existing Golden Kiwi lottery arrived under the direction of the Commission. Первый Лотто тянет с главным призом 359 808$, was carried out 1 August 1987.
The range of games has been expanded over time, with Instant New Zealander scratchcards introduced in 1989 (replacing the Golden New Zealander), Lotto's strike 1993, Keno c 1994, Powerball в 2001 and Big Wednesday in 2005. The Victory Wheel was introduced into 2004 as a free "second chance" for Lotto players.
Lotto was previously run in two game shows, "Telebingo" and "Risk". There were also "Extra Draws" on several occasions in 1998.
In April 2013 advertising Lotto, showing dog, stealing a lotto ticket from its owner, because he ditched it for the cat, faced a complaint to the Advertising Standards Committee. It was thrown out.
Business category is focused on attracting experienced businessmen to New Zealand, ready to build and develop innovative and promising businesses. The main interest for New Zealanders is IT businesses, the scientific sector and businesses, with export potential.
The principle of selection of applicants for the Entrepreneur Work Visa is based on a point system, as for the Skilled Migrant category. To obtain a business visa, you must dial 120 points, provide a detailed business plan and invest at least an amount in business development 100 000 NZD.
An applicant for a business category visa must have a minimum knowledge of English at the IELTS level with an overall score of 4.0.
Learn more about Entrepreneur Work Visa requirements here.
Across 2 years of successful business, Entrepreneur Work Visa holders are eligible to apply for the Entrepreneur Resident Visa. For those, who is ready to invest in business at least 0,5 million NZD, the term for obtaining an Entrepreneur Resident Visa can be reduced to 6 months.
Learn more about Entrepreneur Resident Visa requirements here.